Standardized Testing Resources
by Angela G Paul
* List of distributors of testing materials rentals [all prices/
regulations subject to change]:
- Bayside School Services 1-800-723-3057
- Bob Jones University Press 1-800-845-5731
- Christian Liberty Academy 1-847-259-8736
- Christian Light Education 1-540-434-0750
- Family Learning Organization 1-800-405-8378
- Hewett Educational Resources 1-360-835-8708
- Laurel Springs School 1-805-646-2473
- Seton School 1-540-636-9990
- Sycamore Tree 1-714-650-4466
- Thurbers 1-919-967-5282
College tests, including the ACT (American College Testing Program), PSAT
(Preliminary Scholastic Assessment Test, SAT (Scholastic Assessment
are readily available through your local high school, community college,
or college/university, as well as on the internet.
- FairTest: The place to go for information on standardized testing.
FairTest, 342 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139. (617) 864-4810. Fax: (617)
497-2224. Email: Info@fairtest.org Website: http://www.fairtest.org
- Bayside School Services: 1-800-723-3057 - P.O. Box 250 - Kill Devil
NC 27948. Rents California Achievement Test/5 and the Test of Cognitive
Skills to any home school family. Cost for the CAT/5 is $25, which
includes scoring and an individual report from the test company. If you
order before December to test in any spring month other than April, the
cost is reduced to $20. A shortened form of the CAT/5 is also available.
- Bob Jones University Press: 1-800-845-5731 - Greenville SC 29614-0065.
Offers for rent the most recent versions of the Iowa Test of Basic Skills
(K-12), and Stanford Achievement Test (K-12). Requirements have changed since information was originally posted on HEIR. For the most up-to-date information, check out www.bjup.com/testing/
- Christian Liberty Academy: 1-847-259-8736 - 502 W. Euclid Avenue -
Arlington Heights, IL 60004. Rents the 1970 version of the California
Achievement Test (CAT) for grades 2-12. You do NOT have to be enrolled in
their program to order the test. The cost for each CAT is $20. They also
have a service to help with curriculum decisions based on test results.
This is $20 extra. Allow 2-3 weeks after ordering to receive the test.
will then have two months to administer the test and return it for
scoring. This company gives only raw scores and grade equivalents, both
which are confusing. You can (and should) request more meaningful
such as percentiles and stanines. You can order by mail to the above
address or order by FAX 1-847-259-1297 with a credit card.
- Christian Light Education (CLE): 1-540-434-0750 - P.O. Box 1212 -
Harrisburg, VA 22081 Provides the 1970 CAT and the 1989 Comprehensive
of Basic Skills to those families enrolled in their program. They are
a curriculum/book seller and a provider of services such as record
and transcripts for homeschoolers.
- Family Learning Organization: 1-800-405-8378 e-mail:
firstname.lastname@example.org - P.O. Box 7247 - Spokane, WA 99207-0247 -
Offers the Metropolitan Achievement Test ($21), IOWA ($25-1990 edition,
$30-1995 edition), California Achievement Test ($24), and other
services to homeschoolers. An added bonus is a 10% discount for three or
more tests ordered to one family. You have only three weeks from the time
you receive the test to return the tests for scoring. Expect 2-3 weeks to
receive results. Call or write for an order form. They specialize in
renting tests to homeschoolers to administer to their children at home.
- Hewett Educational Resources: 1-360-835-8708 - P.O. Box 9 - Washougal, WA
98671-0009 Fax (360) 835-8697. The Personalized Achievement Summary
Test (PASS). Grades 3-8. The PASS test was developed specifically for
homeschoolers. Parents administer the test at home. It is untimed.
show your child's overall achievement and include suggestions for
goals in each assessment area. Call (800) 348-1750 for free catalog.
- New Creation Academy: (717) 528-885-0650 Company Farm Road - Aspers, PA
17304. Email: email@example.com. Offers the Iowa Test of Basic Skills for
grades three to twelve. The cost is $25 per test. Group discounts
- Seton School: 1-540-636-9990 - 1350 Progress Drive - Front Royal, VA
or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Rents the 4th edition of the CTBS
(California Test of Basic Skills) for grades K-12. The cost is $20, and
includes complete directions on how to administer the test. You can test
at any time of the year. Order through the above address or by phone with
a credit card. Website: http://www.setonhome.org/testing/default.stm
- Sycamore Tree: (800) 779-6750 - 2179 Mayer Place - Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Fax: 714-668-1344. Email: email@example.com - Offers the
Comprehensive Test of Basic Skills (CTBS) and the Gates-MacGinitie
Inventory. The CTBS tests all academic areas including Reading, Language
Arts, Spelling, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reference Skills. The
Gates-MacGinitie Reading Inventory tests reading skills, vocabulary
development, and comprehension only. Tests can be administered by
CTBS $50, Gates-MacGinitie Reading Inventory $25. Website:
- Thurber's Educational Assessments: 919-967-5282 - Rents The California
Achievement Test (C.A.T./5)® for from $20-25.
© 2002 Home Education Information Resource (HEIR)